So what's leadership all about?
Some of my impressions: Integrity-consistency-honesty. Passion, hearing AND listening. Keepin' on - fortitude. Love, serving remembering. Truth-telling, caring, heartfelt sincerity. Showing up.
Now connect that to improvisational leadership - a new paradigm. Some think improvisational leadership is making do with what you have. It is NOT.
- Select the best talent. PIck themes and rhythms that showcase that talent and also hold great appeal to the audience.
- Support the performers, but are not afraid to solo at times - as long it is supporting existing themes or...
- Change up the head (the head in jazz is the first four to eight bars of the musical theme) to challenge the other followers to new heights, new approaches.
- Are sometimes in harmony and sometimes dissonant - both are pleasing to audience members as well as the performaners who eagerly listen and watch for what is next, where is the performance leading, where's the build, where's the crescendo?
- Are most rewarded by the excitement generated by the group - contagion among the performers and equally so among the audience.
Wow, wow, wow when it happens. Magic!
Have you ever worked with an improvisational leader? Remember that magic?